Ghana Premier League side Karela United FC has been hit with a player registration ban by football’s world governing body, FIFA, for failing to settle a financial obligation owed to former player Sana Camara.
In a letter dated August 17, 2026, and issued through the FIFA Legal Portal, FIFA’s Head of Disciplinary, Américo Espallargas, confirmed that the ban on the club registering new players, both internationally and nationally, had been implemented.
The letter, referencing an earlier FIFA ruling under case number FPSD-23160, stated that Karela United had still not complied with its financial obligations towards Camara despite the decision.
“In this context, it appears that, despite the Decision, Karela United FC (the Respondent) has not yet complied with its financial obligations towards Sana Camara,” the letter said.
FIFA said the registration ban would remain active until the outstanding amount was paid, and for a maximum duration of up to three entire and consecutive registration periods.
The world football body also directed the Ghana Football Association (GFA) to immediately enforce a ban on the club from registering new players at the national level, if this had not already been done.
The amount owed to Camara was not disclosed in the correspondence.
The sanction comes at a difficult time for the Tamale-based club, which is owned by Education Minister Hon. Haruna Iddrisu, as it could hamper the team’s efforts to strengthen its squad ahead of the 2026/27 Ghana Premier League season.
Karela United will be required to fulfil the terms of the original FIFA decision before the registration ban can be lifted.
A copy of the letter was also sent to Sana Camara, his representatives, and the Ghana Football Association.


Leave a Reply