Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Suame interchange project begins September – Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu assures after crowd booed and pelted him with water sachet

The New Patriotic Party (NPP) Member of Parliament for Suame, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu, has given an assurance that the proposed Suame Interchange project will begin in September, 2022.

According to him, Parliament would meet Tuesday to discuss a loan facility from Spain for the four-tier interchange to commence.

He was speaking to Graphic Online on Monday (July 18, 2022) after a planned meeting with residents to address concerns about the project was met with a protest by scores of spare parts dealers at the Suame Magazine enclave over the delay in starting the project, reports Daniel Kenu from Kumasi.

The protests nearly turned chaotic and the police were brought in to provide security and to keep the people at bay.

According to the protesters, the MP, who is also the Majority Leader and Minister of Parliamentary Affairs, had not done enough to get the project started at the Suame Roundabout and to also fix the potholes on the roads.

Pelted with sachet water

Last Friday, the artisans nearly attacked a 4×4 vehicle which passed by the area and tried to swerve the pothole section of the road.

When Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu got to the area Friday mid morning, together with the MCE for the area, they got off their vehicle, looked at the portion of the road which had been complained about by the artisans in the area.

They decided to walk on the road for about one kilometre, but just about 400 metres into the walk towards the Maakro area, the crowd gathered, started chanting songs and pelted them with sachet water.

At some point, a sachet of water hit someone who was close to the MP for the area, burst and splashed on them, including Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu.

Sympathy

Mr. Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu however told Graphic Online that as a result of the planned interchange, which would lead to the redesign of the main Suame-Offinso road, it was not possible to embark on any major reconstruction apart from patching the road in a few places.

He sympathised with the business community in the area for the stress they were going through and the fact that they had to water their frontage every morning to avoid being engulfed in dust.

Address

Later, a few of the leadership of the dealers met with the Majority Leader at the upper terrace of a nearby bank to explain why the project had delayed.

He told the people that the local contractors tasked for the overlay had run out of asphalt but had been able to secure some from Cote d’Ivoire and would begin work in earnest.

“I assure you that within the next three days, the contractor will be on site to commence the asphalt overlay,” he said.

The Majority Leader said the interchange was at the heart of government and once Parliament gave the green light for the loan facility, the project would take off.

 

Source : graphic.com.gh

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.